View my LinkedIn
Katherine Chiarello is an experienced advocate who has litigated on behalf of both large and small businesses, as well as individuals, in a wide variety of industries, including online retailers, print and digital media, financial services, artificial turf, insurance, professional services, renewable energy, and oil and gas. Katherine has litigated, arbitrated, and mediated cases (including class actions) involving business contracts, business torts, fraud, securities fraud, trademarks, and trade secrets. She has also counseled clients about litigation risk and compliance issues.
In addition, Katherine is regularly retained to assist out-of-town firms as local counsel. Katherine has been retained by prominent firms in New York, Washington, DC, Boston, Chicago, California, and Georgia to advise clients in high-stakes Austin-based litigation.
Katherine started her career at Williams & Connolly, LLP in Washington, DC. From 2007 to 2016, she practiced with famed Austin trial lawyer Shannon Ratliff. Katherine joined Wittliff Cutter Austin, LLP in November 2016.
- Defended a Fortune 50 technology company in a major federal lawsuit involving allegations of business interference, violations of software copyrights, and global antitrust violations.
- Represented the independent alumni association of a Big 12 school in bet-the-entity intellectual property litigation against its parent university.
- Represented the United States subsidiary of an international company, and several of its affiliates, in a complex business dispute with one of its partners
- Defended a Fortune 50 oil and gas company in numerous class actions, as well as in arbitration against another party in a joint venture.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest newspaper companies in litigation on three simultaneous fronts over the ownership of The Salt Lake Tribune
- Defended a major office supply retailer in consumer class action litigation
- Defended a major investment advisory firm against a nine-figure claim of fraud by the Texas state retirement system.
- Represented a large credit insurer in numerous cases, including a nationwide class action
- Represented an individual in a theft of trade secrets case involving two major semiconductor manufacturers
Katherine regularly provides pro-bono representation to tenants through Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas.
Admissions and Professional Qualifications
- Texas, 1998
- District of Columbia, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western, Northern, Eastern and Southern Districts of Texas
- Law Clerk to Honorable David R. Thompson, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (2000-2001)
- Law Clerk to Honorable Sam Sparks, United States District Court for the Western District of Texas (1998-2000)
- State Bar of Texas (Member, Litigation Section), Austin Bar Association
- Travis County Women Lawyers Association
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Founding Member and Barrister, American Inns of Court, Barbara Jordan Inn, 2016-present
- University of Texas School of Law (J.D. with honors 1998, Order of the Coif, Articles Editor of the Texas Law Review)
- Trinity University (B.A., cum laude, 1995)