View my LinkedIn
Reid Wittliff is a technology lawyer with a deep understanding of the fast-developing law governing online activity, privacy and data security. He has represented both fortune 100 companies and small start-ups in technology and intellectual property disputes. He also frequently negotiates and drafts software licenses and other technology contracts. He is a certified mediator. Reid's prior experience includes serving as the founding Division Chief of the Texas Attorney General Office's Computer Crime Division and as a federal prosecutor responsible for leading computer crime investigations and prosecutions in the Dallas, Texas area. In 2008, Reid founded R3 Digital Forensics, LLC as an independent company to provide digital forensics and e-Discovery services to clients throughout the nation.
- Privacy, Digital Media, Technology
- Technology and IP Litigation
- FTC and State AG investigations
- Special Master & Mediation
- Data Protection and Info Sec
- Plaintiff's counsel for business executive who was damaged when a competitor infected his computer with spyware and used stolen information to interfere with his business
- Defense counsel in the first case brought by the Texas Attorney General under the Texas Anti-Spyware Act.
- Defense counsel in the first case brought by the Texas Attorney General under the federal CAN-SPAM Act.
- Plaintiff's counsel on behalf of a software company whose former employee stole software code.
- Appointed as Special Master by federal court to oversee more than 4 terabytes of data related to a a complex theft of trade secrets action.
- Represented former general counsel of a technology company in connection with an internal investigation into stock option practices.
- Served as investigative counsel for board of publicly-traded technology company in connection with an SEC investigation
- Assisted clients in numerous cases to identify persons who attempted to send defamatory emails or online postings anonymously
- Mediated over twenty matters involving software license disputes
- Conducted internal investigation for a Special Litigation Committee of a publicly-traded company in response to a shareholder derivative demand.
- Prosecuted numerous domain name disputes through the UDRP process.
- Local counsel in numerous patent infringement actions brought in the Western District of Texas.
Admitted to bar, 1994, Texas. Admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and U.S. District Court, Northern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas. Chief, Texas Internet Bureau, Office of the Attorney General of Texas, 2000-2002. Assistant United States Attorney, Dallas Texas, 1997-2000. Special Assistant United States Attorney, Sherman, Texas, 1996-1997. Law Clerk to Hon. William Wayne Justice, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Texas, 1994-1995.
- University of Texas School of Law (J.D. with Honors 1994) (Member of Chancellors, Order of the Coif, Associate Editor, The Review of Litigation)
- Vanderbilt University (B.A., cum laude, College Scholar Honors Program, 1991)
- Member: State Bar of Texas (Computer & Technology Section, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section & Litigation Section)
- Member Austin Bar Association
- Director, Civil Litigation Section of the Austin Bar Association (2013 - present)
- Co-Chair, International Association of Privacy Professionals - Austin KnowledgeNet (2014-Present)
- Member, American Law Institute (December 2003 - present)
- Barrister, Robert W. Calvert Chapter of the American Inns of Court.
- Member, High Technology Crime Investigation Association
- Founder and President, R3 Digital Forensics, LLC
Awards and Honors
- Named one of the Top 40 Lawyers under the Age of 40 by Texas Lawyer Magazine (September 2001)
- 2004 Finalist for Austin Under 40 (Technology)
- Leadership Austin Class of 2002-2003
- Microsoft Recognition of Excellence in Intellectual Property Rights Enforcement
- Pro Bono College for Outstanding Contribution of Legal Services to the Poor, State Bar of Texas (1996)
- Advisory Board Member, Texas Chapter of the Nature Conservancy
- President, Blanco Valley Wildlife Management Association
- Advisory Board, Wittliff Collections, Texas State University
- Former Board Member, Texas Book Festival & Austin Children's Museum