Computer Hacking & Misuse
Litigating “cybercrime" and "cybertorts," including computer hacking, database misuse, misappropriation of trade secrets, invasion of privacy, spyware, online bullying, and computer spying cases.
Software License Disputes
Wittliff | Cutter | Austin lawyers have prosecuted and defended a wide variety of cases involving claims of infringement of copyrights in digital works, including infringement claims involving computer software, material posted on the Internet and material organized in digital databases.
Identifying Anonymous Online Speakers
Companies and individuals who suffer damage at the hands of anonymous online speakers often seek our assistance to help them identify the persons behind defamatory and unlawful online postings or emails.
We frequently defend against privacy and unfair business practice claims brought by both governmental authorities and private parties.
Domain Name Disputes
Our lawyers represent individuals and businesses seeking to acquire or defend rights to Internet domain names, and have handled the prosecution and defense of numerous "cybersquatting" lawsuits as well as Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceedings.
Internet Libel/Privacy/Free Speech
We have extensive experience counseling clients and litigating cases involving digital media and free speech. The firm's lawyers have handled lawsuits ranging from defending libel suits against websites to challenging false and misleading posting on the Internet.
Our lawyers have represented both large and small companies, including Fortune 100 companies, as local counsel in patent disputes brought in the Western District of Texas.
- The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA)
- the Wiretap Act
- the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA)
- the Privacy Protection Act
- Texas' Breach of Computer Security Law
- FTC Act, the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act
- the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- Data Breach laws
- the Texas Anti-Botnet Act
- the Consumer Protection Against Computer Spyware Act
- the CAN-SPAM Act
- the Uniform Trade Secrets Act
- the Texas Theft Liability Act and the Texas Identity Theft Enforcement and Protection Act